Sunday, October 23, 2011

Party Prep #2- Flavored Popcorn Test

 Yesterday was Paris's Pumpkin Festival. We had a booth for our Southern Swag glasses with some friends.
Laney, Regan, ME, Rachel, & Jill
Clinton brought Emma to the festival to visit us and enjoy the activities. The "Swag Kids" did a little advertising for us while they were there!
"Buy some SWAG from my Mommy!"

Colt, Livi, & Em
Ok, I just had to throw that in there to tell where the idea of the popcorn came from! Clinton bought Emma this bag of blue popcorn while they were there. It was raspberry flavored kettle corn. This morning, Clinton and my mom both said, "You should make this for favors for Emma's party." Then Clinton tells me "It's just gelatin and Karo syrup", so I thought I'd try it. When I printed the recipe out that Clinton had found, it was a lot more complicated than that, but I'd already committed myself to trying it... :(


Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Pop a bag of popcorn. We use Light Butter anyway, but I would think it would be best to use Light or No butter popcorn. Spread popped popcorn on a greased cookie sheet.


Butter a saucepan. Then mix 1 cup butter, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 3oz. pkg. fruit flavored gelatin (we used strawberry, of course), 1 tbsp. corn syrup, 3 tbsp. water in saucepan. Cook over medium heat until it reaches 250 to 265 degrees on a candy thermometer.


The photographer was not given permission to take this!
Pour mixture evenly over popcorn and stir until coated.


See how black the bottom of my pan got!! Mixture doesn't taste burned though!



Messy business.



Bake popcorn for five minutes, stir, then bake for five more minutes. Turn popcorn out onto a piece of foil.



You can form it into balls or let cool completely and break into clusters.

It tastes a little like caramel corn with a strawbery kick. Clinton loves it. I'm still undecided on making some for favors, but at least Em and Clinton will have a snack for a few days.

1 comment:

  1. This blog is very nice..Nice collection of pic...
    Flavored Popcorn is my favorite food...I am really impressed..Thank you...

    ReplyDelete