Sunday, March 20, 2011

Gardening

Last year, Clinton and I (with my Daddy's help) planted a small garden at our old house. I quickly realized that, while gardening was fun sometimes, I had no intentions to weed and take care of it like it needed. The garden soon (very soon) got away from us! We did get a few vegetables from it, but most died or rotted on the vine. I know! Terrible!

This year, I planned to go very small with the gardening. I wanted to a container garden for some herbs and strawberries for Em. My Daddy came up with the idea for me to use some old feed buckets instead of buying new pots. Brilliant, free, and green (recycling! or is it upcycling? I don't know the difference!)

I bought the soil and plants, so it was time to plant!

As with everything, we couldn't do a project without Emma helping. Good thing I had gotten her some new gardening tools! 

Everything got a spray down with that sprayer. Myself included.

The buckets are pretty deep and the potting soil is expensive, so Clinton and I came up with the idea to put mulch in the bottom to take up room before putting in the soil. Being the clever boy he is, Clinton thought it was a much better idea to take up the old, faded mulch from our flower bed, than use new mulch in the buckets. Then, we could put the new mulch down and kill two birds with one stone! 

There she is "helping".


 We had a little bit of a catastrophe when Emma fell and scraped her knee. She got all whiny, not because her leg hurt, but because she had to go inside for me to clean it. She wanted to play!!

How pitiful is that face?
We got all the mulch into the buckets and started pouring in the potting soil.


First, Em tried to plant her ball...

then some pine cones.

Then she "cooked" and stirred it up with her stick.



Finally! She used her new tools...

To dump my pricey potting soil on the ground!

She decided she needed some gloves, so she stole mine!
Finally, I was able to get the plants out and get them planted.

Both of us doing weird mouth things as we concentrated.

Strawberry plant

Still doing the tongue thing!

This was the one plant she planted herself!
I was so grimy when we were done, I went straight to the shower and forgot all about taking a picture of the final project! We have three buckets of plants. One has rosemary & basil, one has Italian parsley, and of course, one has Em's strawberries!

No comments:

Post a Comment