Thursday, June 17, 2010

It's not really a good idea to force a week long vacation on your toddler!

Clinton and I thought it would be ok. Really, we were hoping. We decided to take a week long trip to Louisiana, visit Aunt Terri and Uncle Mike, go to New Orleans, and culminate the week with a big ol' Hanna Family Reunion/ Crawfish Boil.

Note: I warned Terri about letting us stay with them. I mean, I LOVE Emma, but she can be a handful (really an armful).

It started out good! On Sunday, Emma was wonderful on the drive down. She did fine the first night and the next day driving around Sorrento with Uncle Nell visiting the sites of "the good ol' days". The first sign of trouble started at Houmas House Plantation. Emma loved running around under the oaks on the huge lawn, but did not care for the guided tour. (I enjoyed it very much, once Clinton took Emma back outside.) We visited Mike the Tiger at LSU and ran up the Indian Mounds on Tuesday, then we drove on down to New Orleans. Em was great walking around the French Quarter. She even let us enjoy a meal at Landry's Seafood. That evening, though, she started to get cranky. After dessert at Cafe Du Monde, we decided to call it a night. Wednesday was spent at the New Orleans Zoo and Aquarium. Poor little Emma liked to see the animals, but just wasn't her normal outgoing self. That night is where Clinton and I really messed up. We took her to one of our favorite restaurants in New Orleans, Mr. B's Bistro. We dressed her up and just waltzed in there. We didn't even get our appetizer before things started going bad. We pacified her for a little while with ice and bread (of all things), but by the time our, oh so delicious, entrees arrived, she was in full blown fit mode. Finally, the meal was over (we had them wrap our ice cream dessert to go. I know! Crazy, right?). We couldn't even face another night, so we headed back to Baton Rouge. On Thursday, we decided to stick around Baton Rouge and give Emma a break. I could tell she wasn't feeling too good by now. That evening, Clinton went to an LSU baseball game with his cousins, Duane and James. While he was gone, Terri wanted to take us to the mall to let Em ride the Carousel. Emma was acting better, so off we went. We stopped off at the food court to grab some supper, and before we could even sit down with our food... Emma barfed all over herself. So there I was, white-trash Mama, toting her shirtless baby through mall. We got Emma home and put her to bed. She seemed better the next morning, Friday, and the rest of the gang had arrived, so the afternoon was spent visiting St. Francisville and the haunted plantation The Myrtles with Ricky, Sherri, Cody, Lynnann, Libby, and Terri. Again, Emma wasn't so into the guided tour! We all loaded into Fleur De Lis for some great pizza and Emma did great. She did have Evie, Cailie, Chelsea, Kim, Lynnann, and Libby to distract her, though! Saturday was spent in preparation for the crawfish boil. Emma was being so wild and cranky! I had just about had all I could take! Even when all the family and guests arrived, she was NOT on her best behavior. Clinton and I just had to keep saying "she's not normally like this". The crawfish boil was great, Terri and Mike outdid themselves, but once it was over, I put Emma down! On Sunday, it was time to go home. Emma did great again in the car. I think she was just relieved to be headed home. The very next day, Emma was more like her old self. I took her to the doctor a couple of days later and she had tonsillitis! Poor thing can't catch a break! Every time we try to take her somewhere special, she gets sick!

The next post will be some pics of the trip! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment