Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Sleeping

I snuck out of bed to write this because I as lay there my emotions got the best of me, and I thought I better get this out before I forgot it.

Emma sleeps in the bed with Clinton and I. This is a fact that is debated and frowned upon by many people; grandparents, Clinton, and occasionally me. I frown when she's lying sideways in the bed or kicking me in the back! 

Tonight, Emma lay between Clinton and I watching The Goodnight Show on Sprout, as Clinton slept and I read a book. She turned to each side and kissed each of us (where she could reach, my kiss was on my shoulder), then snuggled down in the bed. I knew she had given it up and was finally going to sleep. I turned out the light and the TV and turned towards her. She put both little arms around my neck and sighed. I hugged her soft, warm little body and smelled her Johnson's Baby lotion smell. As I lay there, I thought how these nights are numbered. Emma's 2nd birthday is Sunday. The Darius Rucker song "It Won't Be Like This For Long" played in my head and tears came to my eyes, as they are now as I type this. Everyone says that time flies and before I know it, she'll be grown. I know this is true because it was only yesterday that we were leaving the hospital to bring her home. I know that I am guilty of wishing time away, saying I can't wait until Emma can do this or that. But tonight as I type this, I vow to slow down and enjoy all the times and stop rushing them by. I know I will fail at this sometimes, but I'm going to do my best.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. You made me tear up too! Especially when you mention that song- the first time I heard it was when I was holding your Emma just a week after she was born. You will surely be able to slow down and enjoy it if you focus on it. And stop making me want to have a kid! :)

    ReplyDelete